Here’s where we started, a typical single rod closet.
I removed the shelf to reuse it.
Using a pry bar, I removed the ledger that the shelf and rod were sitting on. I patched the holes with some spackling.
I first cut the shelving top, since it was the widest piece. The entire unit was made from pine 1″x12″.
Then I setup a stop block, clamped to my table to cut the shelves all the same width.
This stop block is well behind the blade, to prevent pinching.
I cut all five shelves to length.
I countersunk three holes in each end of the top piece.
I spread glue on the opposite side of the holes I’d added.
I set the top in place up against the side panels.
I used a corner clamp to hold the pieces at a 90° angle.
I screwed the top to the side panels.
I did the same for the other side.
I cut two pieces of scrap to the same size, to act as shelf spacers.
I slid these pieces up against the underside of the top panel.
Then I slid the next shelf up against the bottom of the spacers.
This shelf was predrilled (with countersink) and screwed in on both sides.
I followed the same pattern for the rest of the shelves.
I avoided glue initially so that the pieces wouldn’t slide around, but once the sides were completely on, I backed out all of the screws.
Then I added glue to the end of each shelf.
I screwed them all back together. The pre-existing holes helped line the boards up correctly.
I measured the area under the bottom shelf and cut a piece to fit that space.
I used some brads to hold it in place.
All of the screw holes were filled with wood putty and sanded smooth.
The whole unit was sanded and painted white.
I found the center of the closet and set the shelf in place.
Then I marked where the shelves hit the base board.
Using a cheap multitool, I cut along the line to separate the trim.
I pried away the trim pieces and patched the holes with spackle.
I cut four pieces of 1″x4″ pine to match the depth of the closet.
I painted the top, bottom and one side of them white. (The other side doesn’t need paint).
I found a stud, then countersunk two holes in each board.
I screwed in the top hole, and used it as a pivot point to level the board.
Then I secured it with the second screw.
I added a screw to each end, driving them into the corner studs.
I followed the same method for the other three pieces.
I set my old top shelf in place.
I screwed it to the top of the new shelving unit.
I measured out from the wall and screwed in a pole socket.
Then I matched this location on the opposite side, and added the other socket. I did the same for the other three poles.
Using a cut off wheel on my grinder, I cut standard closet rods down to four sections of the correct length.
These pieces dropped right into the sockets.
Finally, I cut two more pieces of pine to fit the gap on each side of the shelving unit.
They were painted white, set in place and leveled.
From the inside of the shelving unit, I drilled and screwed into the end of the shelves. Second channel: bit.ly/iltms-2
Buy on amazon: http://amzn.to/1bxSztq
Angelynn’s Jewelry Organizers are high quality, space saving jewelry storage ideas and solutions for home, retail or commercial use.
Great for college dorms, standard, luxury and dream closets, wardrobes, stage, theater and movie star dressing rooms, bedrooms and vanity areas.
Giving every piece of jewelry a safe haven to come home to is key to jewelry organization.
We purposely list the capacities of each product in much detail so you can make an honest decision on what you may need, based upon your personal jewelry collection.
Some find it best to create a plan and take inventory of what they actually have and then purchase what they need. We are here to help you get and keep your jewelry up and out of harm’s way seen at a glance and tangle free.
We love creating products that solve the common problem of tangled, damaged and missing earrings, necklaces, bracelets and other jewelry items.
They are a wonderful gift idea for girls, teens and women of all ages. Created for Jewelry Fashionista’s everywhere.
Skip the first 45 seconds if you just want to see the work involved. I had some plywood/melamine 4 x 8 sheets, that I had bought for at a great deal. With some oak and a lot of clamps, I was able to make a simple organizer for the closet. The closet was drywalled by my wife and it is so much lighter and better.